St. Louis criminal defense attorney W. Scott Rose has been practicing law for 20 years. He limits his practice to criminal defense work, including the defense of weapons charges.
In St. Louis, weapons offenses involve the unauthorized possession of a deadly weapon, typically a firearm. The most common weapons offenses are unauthorized use of a weapon (“UUW”) and unlawful possession of a firearm, also known as felon in possession of a firearm. All weapons charges have the potential to result in a felony charge, so if you have been charged with a weapons related offense in St. Louis, it is imperative that you contact the criminal defense attorneys at Rose Legal Services immediately.
Weapons Crimes in St. Louis
Weapons offenses generally fall into two categories: unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful use of a firearm. Whether the accused is charged with one or the other is based on criminal code guidelines, and factors considered include:
- Whether the weapon in question was concealed
- If the weapon was exhibited in an angry or threatening manner, even if it was not fired
- Whether or not the weapon was readily capable of lethal use
- Location the defendant brought the weapon into (churches, government buildings, etc.)
- Whether the weapon was used to harm another person or propertyWhether the location has posted signs indicating that the premises are off limits to concealed firearms
It is important that you immediately hire a weapons crimes defense attorney